Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Crazy Cooking Challenge: Spaghetti - Risotto Style


I double, wait quadruple love this recipe, let me count the ways....
1.  It is a legitimate ONE POT meal.  I love one pot meals, but don't have many of them (to my husband's dismay - he often washes my many dishes).
2.  This meal is so quick and easy to prepare - the fastest meal I've made in weeks!
3.  It is one of the BEST pasta dishes I've ever made.  True story.
4.  There are a million possible variations to this recipe, and each one can be just as delish!

WHY have I never made spaghetti like this before?  I don't know that I will ever boil a pot of noodles again.   Preparing spaghetti this way gave the noodles SO much flavor.  I love it.  I love it.  I love it.
Thank you Jennifer, from Jenny's Cookbook (also a Crazy Cooking Challenge participant) for this amazing recipe.


Spaghetti - Risotto Style
Adapted from:  Jennifer at Jenny's Cookbook

Serves 4

2 tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 servings of dry spaghetti, broken (2 cups)
1 roasted red pepper, chopped
3 sun dried tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. parsley
1 tsp. basil
salt
red pepper flakes
chicken stock (amount varies)
your favorite pasta sauce (I used Emeril's Chunky Marinara)
freshly grated parmesan

1.  Heat the olive oil in a large pan.
2.  Add the onions and cook until tender.
3.  Add the garlic and dry noodles.
4.  Add the peppers, tomatoes, and spices.

5.  Add one cup of chicken stock and stir until it is absorbed.
6.  Add one cup of pasta sauce and another cup of chicken stock and stir until absorbed.

7.  Continue to add desired amount of stock and pasta sauce (taste often while cooking to test sauce, as well as to be sure noodles do not become overcooked).
8.  When noodles are tender (in about 10 minutes), remove the pan from the heat and top with parmesan.


Photobucket

If you enjoyed this recipe, I'd love for you to like my Facebook page, pin my pictures, subscribe to my feed, or follow me on GFC!  Thanks a million!  xoxo  




25 comments:

Tracy said...

That is a new way of cooking spaghetti. I imagine the noodles were super flavorful having cooked like that. Definitely will have to try that one myself.

Kristen said...

Wow. I have never seen pasta cooked that way. I can imagine the wonderful taste it gets with all of that lovely stock cooked slowly into it.

Janie said...

That is a brilliant idea! I love one pot meals too. Unfortunately, I'm the one who does most of the dishes, and I hate them...so anything that will save me time from doing dishes is a keeper in my book :)

Stopping by from CCC

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Wow - I've made pasta thousands of times during my 40+ years, but I have never, ever made it like this. Pinning immediately!

I hope you'll stop by an visit my CCC - Spaghetti Pie

:)
ButterYum

Kristin said...

I make pasta a million times a year and I have never thought or even imagined it could be made this way!
#29

Meg's Everyday Indulgence said...

I have made spaghetti risotto like this minus the spaghetti sauce and it was really yummy...I can imagine it's over the top with the red sauce added! I made a one pot spaghetti for the CCC too (#40).

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

When I saw the first picture I new this was going to be delicious! You can tell that the noodles really soaked up all the goodness. I've bookmarked this and cannot wait to try this!

Jennifer said...

Mmm now I want spaghetti! I haven’t made it like this in forever. Maybe tonight with a side of chicken. =) My kids love pasta.

Kate said...

Yum yum yum, Kim! What a great idea for doing your noodles! I can't wait to try! Wish I was still in VA so we could collaborate some recipes!! :-) I'm #21 this month!

Jennifer said...

YUMMY! Looks SO good!

Andi said...

pretty clever in cooking of the noodles......so easy and only one pot bet hubby was happy andi

Lisa~~ said...

I love the idea that this is a one pot meal, sounds wonderful.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my CCC entry: Tomato Sauce with Onion & Butter.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Elizabeth said...

I would never have considered cooking noodles this way - I love it and will have to give it a try sometime!

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

I'll have to try this recipe for sure. It looks great, and my husband thanks you in advance, since he is also my dishwasher! =)

Jen @ Juanita's Cocina said...

Risotto style??? Genius! Great recipe and hope you enjoyed this month as much as I did!

#47

Unknown said...

I like the idea of cooking the noodles this way, it looks so easy and good!! Stopping by from CCC#61.

Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips said...

I had so much fun making your slow cooker pasta sauce for my CCC (#74).

This is genius. I will have to try it! I've heard of cooking some other grains risotto style, but never pasta.

Unknown said...

I love this, will definitely be giving a try, one pot? I have to!

Melissa said...

What an awesome new way of cooking spaghetti! I bet the flavors were out of this world :)

Gypsy Heart said...

Different but looks very delish! I will definitely try it. I do have to stop checking in here when I'm starving. :-)

Thanks for stopping by ~ I so appreciate it!

Pat

Leah Beyer said...

You are right, why are we not all making spaghetti this way. Definitely going to be trying this version. Your quadruple love makes it must. Check out my Easy Spasgna at #70.

Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness said...

I love one pot meals too. This spaghetti looks delicious.

Tara @ Crock-Pot Ladies said...

This looks delish and loveeee that it's cooked in one pot! That is right up my alley! Pinning you!

Rachel said...

YUM!!!!

I was #7 Have a Happy Friday :)

A Scientist in the Kitchen said...

That's a fast way to cook spaghetti!

- Gay