My husband calls these "Breakfast Apple Pies" ... they totally live up to that title and they are healthy. Love. I love oatmeal, but I've never made baked oatmeal before this recipe. Now I'm wondering what took me so long? After searching recipes, I found one without butter (yes!) - I don't have anything against butter, but I didn't really want to make a breakfast apple pie. Then, I thought ... why not bake it in an apple? It worked perfectly and tastes amazing! There are so many possible variations on this recipe too - I intend to try each and every yummy one.
Best dishes and yummy dreams!
Baked Oatmeal in a Spiced Apple Bowl
Fills 4 medium-sized apples - 8 servings
1 egg, beaten
1/8 c. canola oil
1/8 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 c. of oats (instant or rolled)
1/2 c. skim milk
1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tbsp. honey
4 medium-sized apples, sliced in half
(I used organic Cameo apples)
apple pie spice mix
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
1. Cut/scoop out the core of the apple and make the apple halves into little "bowls".
2. In a bowl, mix together egg, oil, and brown sugar.
3. Then add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
4. Sprinkle apple pie spice onto the apple bowls, then fill each bowl with the oatmeal.
5. Top the oatmeal with extra brown sugar and apple pie spice.
6. Place the apples on a baking sheet and bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
Variations: -Add 1/2 c. peanut butter to the oatmeal
-Substitute 1/2 mashed banana for the applesauce
-Add caramel on the top, or honey
If you enjoyed this recipe, I'd love for you to like my Facebook page, subscribe to me feed, pin my pictures, or follow me on GFC! Thanks a million! xoxo