Monday, September 5, 2011

Copycat P.F. Changs' Chicken Lettuce Wraps and Brown Fried Rice

Usually every "copycat" restaurant recipe that I've tried has left me slightly disappointed....  until now!  I found a delicious "copycat" recipe - it's a slightly time consuming recipe, but well worth the time it takes.  I altered this recipe a bit to cut down on the sugar in the original recipe, and added some extra veggies.  In order to save a little bit of time, I like to chop the veggies and cook the rice the night before.  I usually make homemade fried rice - I'll attach that recipe too!  Who doesn't like a 2 for 1??  Enjoy!
Best dishes and yummy dreams!

xoxo,


P.F. Chang's Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Recipe adapted from:  Todd Wilbur "Top Secret Recipes" via Food.com

Serves 2-4

Printable recipe 

2 tbsp. canola oil (divided)
1 package of boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins (1.5-2 lbs.)
all-purpose seasoning
1 container of water chestnuts, chopped
1 c. finely chopped fresh broccoli
1 c. chopped mushrooms
2 green onions, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 head of Boston Bibb Lettuce, washed and separated

Stir Fry Sauce:
2 tbsp. reduced sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. rice wine vinegar

Special Sauce:
(for pouring on wraps)
2 tbsp. sugar
1/2 c. water
2 tbsp. reduced sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp. ketchup
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/8 tsp. sesame oil
1 tbsp. hot mustard
2 tsp. water
1-2 tsp. sriracha

1.  Place chicken tenders in pan with dash 1 tbsp. of canola oil and sprinkle with all-purpose seasoning.  2.  After chicken is cooked, take it out of the pan to cool, then chop into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
3.  Mix together ingredients for stir fry sauce.
4.  Heat a wok with 2 tbsp. of canola oil.  
5.  Place the diced veggies (water chestnuts, broccoli, mushrooms, onion, and garlic) into the wok.  
6.  Add the chicken and the stir fry sauce into the wok.  Thoroughly heat the mixture. 

Special sauce:
1.  Heat the water and mix with sugar until the sugar dissolves.  
2.  Add all other ingredients except for the last mention of water and hot mustard.  
3.  Heat the 2 tsp. of water and mix it with mustard to make a uniform mixture.  
4.  Add the mustard and water to the other sauce ingredients.  Shake or mix well.  

Place chicken mixture on a piece of Bibb lettuce, pour on special sauce, roll, and enjoy!


Little Mommy's Fried Rice

1.  Cook 2 dry cups of brown or white rice according to package directions.  Set aside (usually best if prepared the night before).
2.  Heat a wok and scramble 2 eggs.  Remove the eggs and set aside.  
3.  Add 1 tbsp. canola oil to the wok and saute chopped sweet onions.  After 5 minutes, add the rice.  
4.  Add frozen peas and carrots, 2 Tbsp. reduced sodium soy sauce, 2 tsp. oyster sauce, and 1/2 Tbsp to 1 Tbsp of sesame oil.  
5.  Stir fry until the rice becomes crispy, add the egg back into the mixture.


Thanks for reading, loves xo

6 comments:

Kate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kate said...

Looks yummy! I have a favorite fried rice recipe you just put me in the mood for! If you ever happen across a copy cat of CPK's roasted eggplant, peppers, and goat cheese pizza, let me know!! In the meantime....here's a favorite copy cat recipe of mine: http://haganhouse.blogspot.com/2011/02/whats-cooking-wednesday-chilis-salad-my.html

Kelley said...

MMM I LOVE PFC lettuce wraps! My mouth is watering just reading this! I can't wait to get back into the kitchen so I can give it a try myself. :)

Ellen Zames said...

Thank you so much for linking up to Sharing Sundays!! This looks delicious. I wish I had all the ingredients on hand to make it for dinner tonight. YUM!

Ellen

http://everydaysisters.blogspot.com

Karen said...

The lettuce wraps were probably the yummiest thing I have ever made. (Not a mushroom fan, so I used carrot instead.) I've tried probably five or six of your recipes so far, and they have all been delicious! Thank you!

Ermine said...

Just wanted to say, your fried rice recipe has become a regular staple in my home. It's so hard to find a good recipe that tastes anything like the fried rice you get at restaurants. The oyster sauce changes everything! Anyway, just wanted to say thank you so much for sharing that recipe!

(I haven't tried the lettuce wraps because I know my husband wouldn't go for it, but they sound delicious)