Sunday, January 15, 2012

Skinny Chicken Salad with Apple and Avocado... and NO Mayo!


This recipe is my pride and joy.  In reality, it's not a huge deal.  But, chicken salad sandwiches are my thing.  I am very picky though, I'm not a mayo girl.  You know I love to lighten-up a recipe.  So, this is one I've wanted to share for awhile.  This is the perfect light chicken salad, we make it when we have leftover grilled chicken breasts, or extra rotisserie chicken.  I love to make it and save it for lunch during the week - it's a perfect light bite to brighten up your dull lunches!
Wishing you best dishes and yummy dreams!

xoxo,


Little Mommy's Skinny Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Printable recipe

Makes 4 sandwiches

Ingredients:
2 c. of seasoned, cooked and diced chicken 
1/4 c. fat free yogurt
1 tbsp. fat free sour cream
1 tbsp. spicy brown mustard
2 tsp. honey
1 tsp. hot sauce
1/4 tsp. of black pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/3 c. diced apple
1/4 c. diced avocado
1/4 c. sliced grapes
1/4 c. diced celery
1 diced green onion
1-2 tbsp. chopped pecans
whole wheat rolls

1.  In a small bowl, mix the yogurt, sour cream, brown mustard, honey, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and onion powder.  

2.  In another bowl, mix the chicken, apples, avocado, grapes, celery, green onion, and pecans.

3.  Add the yogurt mixture to the bowl with the chicken, fruits, and veggies.  Mix well and chill before serving. 



Thanks for reading, loves! xo


15 comments:

Wendy said...

Mmm - that does look good. I'm not a fan of avocado. Can I leave it out without sacrificing anything crucial? I know for you it's flavor, but it's not doing anything like holding the salad together or anything, is it? I don't want the chicken salad police on my case.

Little Mommy Kim said...

You can totally leave the avocado out! We just love it here :)

Unknown said...

Looks delist!! Pinning it now!! :-)

Little Mommy Kim said...

Thanks so much!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

No mayo? What?! Sounds amazing and love the fact it's healthy :)

Gloria Baker said...

mmmm I love these sandwchich dear!! make me hungry! (lol)

Kristen said...

I adore chicken salads. This one sounds superb. I love how you lightened it up and added so many goodies!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Chicken salad sells itself but this one looks special and I love the avocado. Thanks for linking this to Let's Do Brunch.

Heidi @ CrockPotLadies.com said...

That looks great. I love avocado!

Tara said...

Oh you had me at avocado! Looks delish! Thanks for linking up at Crock-Pot Ladies!!

Miz Helen said...

Your Chicken Salad looks awesome, I will just love this combination of flavors. Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Chef in Training said...

yum! This look absolutely delicious! Thanks for linking up to the Tuesday Talent Show! I hope to see you again next Tuesday!
-Nikki
Chef in Training
http://www.chef-in-training.com

PERMANENT POSIES said...

I love chicken salad and this looks like a great lowfat version. Glad you shared it.

Jocelyn said...

What a great healthy chicken salad with so much crunch and flavor!!! I have to admit I would leave the apple out, but everything else sounds so great!!! Thank you so much for sharing on Trick or Treat Tuesday!!!

Salad said...

Perfect summer dish and way to use leftover chicken.