Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Bacon and Walnut Brussel Sprouts

Growing up, I never liked a brussel sprout.  But who actually did?  It seems that they were always a vegetable that no one really knew what to do with.  Steam and serve?  Eww...
When I stumbled upon this amazing slow cooker dish, I noticed that this brussel sprout recipe was a recommended side.  I almost didn't try it, but now I'm so glad that I did.  This dish reminds me of a warm slaw - I love it.  It is the perfect contrast to a dish prepared with a sweet-ish sauce because the brussel sprouts have a hint of salty bacon and roasted walnuts.  I love the contrast in texture as well, when the crunchy sprouts are paired with a tender roast.  Perfection.
Best dishes and yummy dreams!

xo,

Bacon and Walnut Brussel Sprouts
Recipe featured on: C and C Marriage Factory


Serves 4-6

1 lb. brussel sprouts, cleaned, trimmed and shredded

2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. walnut oil
3 slices of bacon
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
salt and pepper to taste

1.  In a dutch oven over medium heat, cook the bacon and then remove to cool.
2.  Add the brussel sprouts to the dutch oven and saute.  
3.  In a small bowl, mix together the vinegar, brown sugar, and walnut oil.
4.  Add the mixture to the brussel sprouts and cook until tender.  
5.  Chop the bacon and add it back into the dutch oven.
6.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy!

Click here to see where I shared this recipe.

Thanks for reading, loves xo



No comments: