These adorable sandwiches were my attempt at a creative summer dessert. We loved them - to the very last bite! The cookies are actually shortbread not "shortcake," but the dessert reminded me of strawberry shortcake ... just a little more irresistible! Let's face it, cheesecake makes everything better! I cut a few calories by leaving the cookie "top" off of mine... that counts, right?
Best dishes and yummy dreams!
Strawberry Cheesecake Shortcake Sandwiches
Cheesecake recipe adapted from: Food.com
Shortbread recipe: allrecipes.com
1 c. unsalted butter, softened
1/2 c. sugar
2 c. flour, sifted
1 tsp. cornstarch, sifted
8 oz. reduced fat cream cheese
1/2 c. butter, softened
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 c. powdered sugar
Preparing the Cookies:
1. Grease a shallow (11X7) baking dish and preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. Mix the softened butter (1 c.) with the 1/2 c. sugar.
3. Slowly add in the sifted flour and cornstarch.
4. Mix with your hands (the mixture should be a little crumbly).
5. Spread and evenly push the mixture down into the greased baking dish. The layer should be relatively thin.
6. Bake for 30 minutes, remove, and use a cookie cutter to form the cookies (do NOT remove them from the pan).
7. Allow the pan to cool, and remove the cookies after making the cheesecake filling.
Preparing the Cheesecake:
1. Combine the cream cheese and butter in a bowl with a mixer.
2. Add the brown sugar and powdered sugar, blend well.
3. Place the mixture in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to thicken.
Assembling the Cookies:
1. Take one of the cookies out of the pan and spread a thick layer of cheesecake filling on the cookie.
2. Top with sliced strawberries and another cookie.
3. Optional: Top with whipped cream!
Thanks for reading! xo