Sunday, April 1, 2012

Coconut Shrimp with Sweet Chili Apricot Sauce


This dish was almost a "three strikes, you're out" dish.  Despite my lack of frying experience, I was determined that I wasn't going to be defeated ... mostly because my husband was so hyped about eating this dish and each time it failed, you could tell he was totally disappointed.
Let me give you a break down:
Attempt 1:  Was missing an egg because I broke the only one that I had on the floor.  Tried to improvise and pan fry - enough said.
Attempt 2:  Oil was smoking hot and completely burned the outside breading (note to self - test first!)
Attempt 3:  Success!
In the end, it was worth all of the "tries" - so yummy!  However, if you don't fry often, it might be a little troublesome.  Make sure you use a thermometer, or test the oil by dropping some breading in.

Shrimp are my seafood of choice, and this mix between sweet, spicy, and savory is perfect!
Best dishes and yummy dreams!

xoxo,


Coconut Shrimp with Sweet Chili Apricot Sauce
Recipe adapted from:  Closet Cooking
1 lb. medium shrimp (uncooked, peeled and deveined)
1 c. flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 c. sweetened, shredded coconut (or unsweetened, fresh)
1 c. panko bread crumbs
salt and pepper

Oil of your choice, a lot 

1/2 c. sweet chili sauce
1/4 c. apricot preserves
1 tsp. sriracha


1.  Heat a dutch oven with enough oil to fill the pot so that the shrimp will not touch the bottom.  
2.  Put the flour in one small bowl, then the egg in another small bowl.
3.  In a bowl, mix the coconut and bread crumbs.
4.  Dredge the shrimp in flour, then dip in egg, and finally, roll in bread crumb mixture.
5.  The oil should be 360-370 degrees before frying.  After testing the oil to see if the breading browns quickly (but not too quickly), place 1/3 of the shrimp in the dutch oven.  Cook for about 2 minutes, until shrimp are golden brown. 
6.  Repeat twice until all shrimp have been fried.
7.  Sprinkle the shrimp with salt and pepper.
8.  Mix the sweet chili sauce, apricot, and sriracha in a bowl for dipping.


Because everything's better in a cocktail glass! ;)  But seriously, isn't this an adorable idea for a margarita glass??
If you enjoyed this recipe, I'd love for you to follow me on Facebook, subscribe to my feed, follow me on GFC, or pin my pictures.  Thanks a million! xoxo




16 comments:

Classical Appetites said...

These look fantastic! I'm especially excited about your dipping sauce :)

Cindy said...

I have a bag of shrimp in the freezer--this looks like the perfect recipe.
I agree about frying, it is easy to burn things, we burned egg rolls yesterday!
Shrimp are tricky because they cook such a short time. But this recipe looks like something one needs to perfect. The dipping sauce looks yummy too.

MissCandiquik said...

These look so good - I made a similar recipe (coconut chicken fingers) this weekend, this sauce looks amazing too! I love anything coconut...:)

Stephanie said...

Ohhh this looks good! I love coconut shrimp but have been afraid to make it at home. Will have to try this!!

Stephanie

Alison Meade said...

Coconut shrimp is a favorite around here! I could make 4 dozen for a holiday party and they'd all be gone in the blink of an eye! I'm definitely going to try your sweet chili apricot sauce next time!

We'd love for you to link this and whatever else you'd like at our new Beautify It Monday link party going on now at Bringingbeauty.blogspot.com

Carrie @ My Favorite Finds said...

thanks for sharing at Must Try Monday. I am always looking for a good shrimp recipe. I haven't tried Coconut Shrimp at home, I've only had it in a restaurant. Yum!

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

These look scrumptious! I can't wait to try them and the sauce. Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

Simply Tasheena said...

Thank you so much for linking up at Show Me What You Got Tuesday's at ODH (www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com)

Mrs. Delightful
www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Carrie @ My Favorite Finds said...

Featuring you this week from Must Try Monday!

Cole said...

Those look great! I'll have to try it sans coconut (I'm allergic) soon. :-) Thank you for sharing with Tuesdays at the Table.

Miz Helen said...

Coconut Shrimp is really one of my favorites and I could just reach out there and have that shrimp. Hope you have a Happy Easter Celebration and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon,
Miz Helen

ealldredge5 said...

This looks so good. I love sweet chili sauce and the addition of the apricot preserves sound delicious! I'd love it if you stopped by my April Linky to share this.

Jana@Transformations From the Heart said...

Oh, these look good! I'm going to have to make your Chili Apricot Sauce the next time I fix shrimp.

Diane Balch said...

Coconut shrimp is amazing I've never made it thanks for sharing this recipe. Please post it on my foodie friday linky today.

Artbyasm said...

These look delicious! I am your newest follower! Please follow back if you'd like! I saw this post on a link party!

Have a Happy Easter,
Annamaria

Addicted to Recipes said...

These would be a huge hit in my house! Thanks for sharing at Scrumptious Sunday! This week's party is open, if you haven't already linked up :-)

http://iamaddictedtorecipes.blogspot.ca/p/link-party.html