Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Baked Egg Rolls: The Less-Guilty Pleasure


Even the best set plans are thwarted by forces unseen...sigh.  I had every intention of making baked wontons for two weeks now ... I scheduled it, talked about it, and finally went to the store - road block.  I got to the organics section to pick up the wonton wrappers (which they ALWAYS have) and the only packages they had were marked Oct. 31.  Of course ... it kind of went with the theme for the week:  gas leak at school, hit a car on the way to work, got puked on inside and outside of my shirt by my little one, got lost in the 'hood.. who am I kidding - I work in the 'hood ... the list goes on.  This week will not get the best of me .. onto plan B - baked egg rolls!  Which, I'm sure, are just as yummy!
The thing that I adore most about homemade Chinese food is that it can be so healthy, flavorful, and include tons of awesome veggies (and you don't have to wonder what exactly is in the dish??!)!  I was never much of a veggie fan growing up, but when it came to stir frys and soups - I was game for any vegetable.  Still am!  The ingredients for the filling can easily be altered and new things can be added.  I'd love to try different veggies next time - like some kind of seaweed, or bok choy.  I created the sauce - yes, I know it contains some uncommon odds and ends, but the flavors are spot on... not too salty, not too sweet - tons of flavor.  If you don't keep Tiger Sauce, Duck Sauce, Sriracha, or sesame oil at home, I highly recommend them.  You can use them for so many dishes (not just Asian foods!).
My biggest concern with this recipe was that they might not come out crispy, but no fear - they are perfectly crispy, not at all soggy...just delicious.  I had 4 ... in about 2 minutes.  Best dishes and yummy dreams!

xoxo,


Little Mommy's Baked Egg Rolls

Preparing the chicken:
2 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1 1/2 large breasts)
All-purpose seasoning
dash of Sriracha
olive oil

Preparing the filling:
1 small red pepper, diced
4 scallions, diced
1 small bag of coleslaw mix
1 can of water chestnuts, diced
1 cup of mushrooms, (diced after measuring)
1 cup chopped fresh broccoli
2 cloves of garlic, grated or chopped

Sauce for filling:
1/8 c. soy sauce
1/8 c. chicken stock
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. Sriracha
2 tbsp. Duck Sauce
2 tsp. Tiger Sauce

1.  Rinse the chicken and cut it into bite-sized pieces, sprinkle with all-purpose seasoning.
2.  Cook chicken in a skillet with olive oil and a dash of Sriracha.  Set aside and allow the chicken to cool.
3.  After cooled, chop into smaller pieces for egg roll filling.
4.  Place all veggies into the skillet with 1 tbsp. of Canola oil.

5.  Cover the veggies with sauce ingredients and cook until cabbage is tender.  Add the chicken to the mixture.
6.  Place 2 heaping tablespoons of the mixture into an egg roll wrapper.  See pictures below on how to wrap the egg rolls!

Place the egg roll wrapper so it looks like a diamond.  Place the filling just below the center.


Roll the bottom corner up and tuck it under the filling.


Fold the side corners in.


Roll the egg roll up!  Wet the final corner so that it sticks to the wrapper.

7.  Spray a pan with nonstick spray.  Place egg rolls on the pan and spray the tops generously with nonstick spray.


8.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.  





9.  Enjoy with extra Duck Sauce - it makes all the difference!
The recipe makes 8-10 egg rolls.  Eat right away - they aren't the greatest to reheat!  Keep in mind that the wrapper will not taste like a fried egg roll - but, they are sooo good in their own way!


If you enjoyed this recipe, I'd love for you to follow my blog on GoogleConnect, or "like" my Facebook page!  Cheers!

I shared this recipe with the cute blogs on the side bar, as well as:
This awesome new blog I found!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love eggrolls but I have not made them YET. Thanks for sharing this and inspiring me to cook.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

So sorry about your rough week. These look delicious! I bet some marinated Asian mushrooms would be a tasty addition sometime!

I'm going to follow you back, but just so you know some weird thing is happening with GFC where my picture isn't showing up under followers right away - there's a delay. Not sure what's happening!

Elsa said...

This looks delicious! I am your newest follower. I found you through Miz Helen's blog hop. :)

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Oh, boy... these look delicious! :)

Rebecca Dunning said...

Hey there. Just love the idea of baking them. Never thought about it. I'm going to give it a try.

Following from the Mom Loop. Please visit and comment on mine: www.rebeccalynndunning.blogspot.com

Have a great day!

Unknown said...

Those look so good! I'm not the cooking type -- do you think they could easily be made vegetarian?

Little Mommy Kim said...

Absolutely :). Just take put the chicken and add more veggies. Nix the chicken stock and use veg stock. Thanks for reading.

Mommy With Selective Memory said...

LOL I've tried to make these and it didn't turn out nearly as well. I'm not exactly a great cook but I try! Glad to find you on Blog Frog. Hope you'll follow back! www.mommywithselectivememory.blogspot.com

Amy Anderson said...

These look wonderful. I'm pinning them to make sometime since I have egg roll wrappers in my freezer.

Thanks for linking up at A Little Nosh this week!

(Has anyone ever told you it's a little hard to read your blog because of the font you use?)

Miz Helen said...

Thank you so much for sharing your fabulous recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week end and please come back soon.
Miz Helen

Little Mommy Kim said...

Thanks for letting me know Amy.. I asked on my FB page and heard the same. It must be something with the new Office suite and my Mac. I must have chosen something not compatible with others. I didn't even know! Again, thanks :)

Unknown said...

THanks for stopping by & following my blog. These look fabulous! New follower :)

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I love egg rolls! I've never made them but would love to try.

Anonymous said...

These look great. I'm supposed to be on a low fat diet and I'm really missing fried egg rolls. I'm definitely going to try these as an alternative.