Friday, September 16, 2011

Skinny Mini Chicken Pot Pies

Although I'm not much for casseroles and heavy meat dishes, I do love chicken pot pies!  My mom found a recipe for a lighter version of pot pie and shared it with me years ago.  As time passed, I kept the same base for the recipe (skim milk and flour), but made the rest of the recipe into a creation of my own.  I like to use a store-bought topping to save time, but feel free to make a homemade one!
I prefer making these pot pies in little ramekins so that the dish is portioned and everyone gets the same amount of topping (my favorite) and vegetable "goodies".  The ramekins are great too because they come with little lids - quick and easy way to store leftovers!
Please enjoy this lighter version of a heart-warming, classic dish!
Best dishes and yummy dreams!

xo,

Skinny Mini Chicken Pot Pies
Printable recipe

1 package of boneless skinless chicken tenderloins  (1-2 lbs.)     
    (*Shortcut:  use a shredded rotisserie chicken)
all-purpose seasoning
2 garlic cloves, minced
 28 oz. package of frozen mixed vegetables
24-32 oz. of chicken stock
1/2 c. flour
1 c. skim milk 
1 small onion, chopped
1 can of refrigerated reduced fat croissant dough
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tbsp. fresh parsley
2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
sprinkle of cayenne

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
1.  Sprinkle all-purpose seasoning on chicken tenders and saute in a nonstick pan until cooked through.
2.  Remove chicken and allow to cool.  When cooled, shred and set aside.
3.  In a sauce pot, place frozen vegetables enough stock to almost cover the veggies.  
4.  Add sliced onions to the veggies and boil on medium heat until the veggies are tender.
5.  In a small container with a lid, add skim milk, flour, and spices.  Shake to combine.
6.  Add the milk and flour mixture to the pot of veggies.
7.  Add the shredded chicken to the pot and stir.
8.  Allow the mixture to cook for about 2 minutes, add more stock if mixture is too thick.
9.  Spray ramekins with nonstick cooking spray and pour veggie and chicken mixture into the ramekins.
10.  Top each veggie mixture with one sheet of croissant dough (you can slice the dough into a design if you'd like).
11.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until the topping has browned.

Enjoy!

Thanks for reading, loves xo


9 comments:

Mary said...

This is great! Love your placesetting! I am so impressed with your talent!

Love,
Kek

Kate said...

Yummy!! Our ramekins would be too small for a dinner portion, but I made a seafood version (easily translates to chicken, beef, or any other type of pot pie though) and baked them in small "fruit bowls" that are oven-proof and that I received as wedding gifts! http://haganhouse.blogspot.com/2011/01/whats-cooking-wednesday-lobster-pot-pie.html

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah!...love these,had not thought about making individual ones,it's just me and hubby,so I'm gonna borrow this idea,thanks for posting!I'm visiting from FOODIE FRIDAY.
~Jo

Miz Helen said...

These little Chicken Pot Pie's are just the greatest! They look delicious and I love the presentation. Hope you are having a great week end and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Mrs Happy Homemaker said...

That looks so super yummy & the presentation is gorgeous! I would love it if you shared this, and/or whatever else you want, on my bloghop - Makin' You Crave Monday, over at MrsHappyHomemaker.com!

Wendy said...

I love a chicken pot pie and will definitely try this healthier version. Reduced fat croissants?? I don't think I've ever seen those but will be on the hunt.

Trisha said...

These look so pretty. I love the individual portions and the pot pie in itself sounds delicious!

MissieLee said...

Oh, that does sound yummy -- and easy, too, using the RF crescent dough. :-)

Moore or Less Cooking said...

I am your newest follower, hopping over from Everyday Sisters. I really have been in the mood for Chicken Pot Pie and this looks perfect. I am trying it. Stop by my newest blog Moore or Less Cooking when you get a chance!!

Nettie