Sunday, December 9, 2012

Soft and Chewy Gingerbread Cookies


Every year, I look forward to making sugar cookies.  They're so much fun to decorate but I'm the only one in the house who truly likes to eat them ... that's a problem.  This year I thought I'd make gingerbread men instead because I knew I wouldn't be the only one with my hand in the cookie jar.  The only catch was that they had to be chewy, or they wouldn't be eaten (I have some picky cookie monsters on my hands).  Success!
My little sidekick had a great time decorating too....
A "cookie sandwich"  on a bed of an entire container of sprinkles ;)

Soft and Chewy Gingerbread Cookies


Makes 24 cookies

2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 c. butter, softened
1 c. sugar
1 egg
1 Tbsp. orange juice, or water
1/4 c. molasses
2 Tbsp. white sugar

1.  In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.
2.  In another large bowl, blend together butter and sugar.  Slowly add one egg, as well as the orange juice and molasses.  Blend until smooth.
3.  Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and fold until combined. 
4.  Place the bowl in the freezer for 30-40 minutes.  This step is very helpful if you wish to roll out the mixture.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
5.  Roll out the dough (small sections at a time) on a piece of parchment paper, and use desired cutouts. Place the cookies on a lined baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar.
6.  Bake for 8-10 minutes. 

Enjoy!

Click here to see where I shared this recipe!

Thanks for reading, loves xo







3 comments:

Diane Balch said...

I love the light sprinkle of sugar.

allisamazing said...

Soft gingerbread cookies are the best!

Becky McNeer said...

My kids have been begging to make some gingerbread cookies!! We'll have to follow your recipe!! Please don't forget to visit us at Foodtastic Friday!