Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Easy Red Enchilada Sauce


You all know I love a lil' Mexican food!   Enchiladas are one of my fave, but the canned sauce just doesn't cut it.  So, I tried several recipes that I found online until I tasted the best one... tweaked it a little (cause you know I have trouble following the "rules")... and I'm sharing it with you!  It's so easy and yummy - it's a keeper in our house!
Wishing you best dishes and yummy dreams!

xoxo,


Easy Red Enchilada Sauce
Adapted from: SweetsLady on Food.com

Printable recipe

Makes enough sauce for 15 enchiladas

2 Tbsp. canola oil
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 c. chili powder
4 c. chicken broth
1 c. tomato sauce
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. oregano
3 tsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. cayenne
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

1.  Heat the oil and cornstarch in a sauce pan on medium.  Stir until combined and mixture is smooth (paste-like).
2.  Add chili powder and stir.  Let the mixture bubble for a minute.
3.  Slowly add chicken broth and stir.
4.  Add the tomato sauce, salt, cumin, oregano, sugar, cayenne, and cinnamon.  
5.  Simmer the sauce on low until it thickens.
6.  Pour over enchiladas and enjoy!


When making enchiladas, I combine sauteed chicken, onions, jalapeno and tomato with Adobo, wrap the mixture in a corn tortilla with a small amount of enchilada sauce mixed in.  Then, I pour the sauce on top of the enchiladas.  Top with lots of cheddar and pepper jack cheese, of course!  Yummm!



Thanks for reading, loves xo

10 comments:

Christine said...

I love Mexican food, too. This looks yummy!

Shan said...

I can't wait to give this recipe a try. Thanks for adding it to What's Cooking Wednesday. Don't forget to link back.

Kristen said...

Homemade is definitely best. Your enchiladas look wonderful. No matter how often I have it, I never get sick of Mexican food.

Loy said...

I love it when I find a homemade sub for a commercial product. I am including this in my Friday Finds this week. Thanks for sharing.

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

Who doesn't like mexican food! I never buy enchilada sauce because it comes in a can :( I'll have to try this some time!

Becky McNeer said...

Mexican food is my absolute favorite! please link to foodie friday going on now: Not Your Ordinary Recipes

Miz Helen said...

Your Enchilada's look delicious, we would really enjoy your recipe. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a wonderful week end and come back soon!
Miz Helen

Becky McNeer said...

Thank you for linking to Foodie Friday! Please come back next week! -Becky

Molly said...

I made this last night and it was simple and delicious! I try to avoid cans when possible and this is one more thing I can make on my own. Yum!

Little Mommy Kim said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed it :) Thanks for letting me know!