We love Mexican food around here. I love it even more when I know that it's healthy! These tacos are hands-down the best I've ever had ... they are irresistible and healthy! The key is the homemade taco seasoning; it's a great mix of spices, it's low-sodium, and you can even omit the salt altogether if you really have to limit your salt intake. For these tacos, I used canned black beans and canned tomatoes, but it can be recreated using fresh tomatoes and soaked black beans...another option for those watching their sodium intake. This is a great site on soaking dried beans. We use Mission Carb Smart tortillas, and top the meat mixture with an easy homemade guacamole, sour cream, and cheese. This is truly my favorite meal lately, and a great addition to a "Taco Night" - you won't be disappointed! Wishing you best dishes and yummy dreams!
Chicken, Tomato, and Black Bean Tacos
- A "Little Mommy" creation
1 package of boneless, skinless chicken breast tenderloins
1 can of petite diced tomatoes, or 1 small diced tomato
1 can of black beans, or 1/2 c. dried beans
1/4 c. Taco Seasoning
3/4 c. water or chicken stock
toppings of your choice!
1. Trim the chicken tenders and sprinkle them with all-purpose seasoning.
2. Place the tenders in a saute pan with olive oil and cook until they are almost cooked through (you don't want to cook them completely because you will dry out the meat when you have to place it back in the pan).
3. Shred the meat with a fork, then add it back to the pan.
4. Add 1/2 of the can of black beans and tomatoes to the pan, then add the taco seasoning and water. Stir.
6. Make your taco and enjoy!
*If you don't want to waste the rest of the beans and tomatoes, just double the chicken and seasoning in the recipe and use the whole can of each. I did this and then froze the leftovers.
If you enjoyed this recipe, I'd love for you to "like" my Facebook page, follow me on GFC, leave a comment, or pin my pics! Thanks a million! xoxo