We love Mexican food. Tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, burritos, guacamole ... you name it, we eat it. As much as we love eating Mexican out, I love the challenge of making healthy alternatives at home. This recipe has evolved over the years - it's one of our favorites and is constantly changing because there are so many great "twists" you can put on this dish! Our latest "twist" is the salsa and cheddar cheese sauce inside the burrito. Yummmm! This step is completely optional, as they are delicious (and a little healthier) without it, but who doesn't like a little cheese sauce??
This recipe incorporates one of the healthiest condiments - salsa ... rich in lycopene and vitamin C, and low in calories. It also has black beans - great fiber - rice, chicken, and many other yummies. I make these burritos in taco-sized tortillas instead of burrito tortillas, which allows for smaller portions. They are slightly time consuming, but totally worth it!
On a side note - you'll notice something about most of my recipes - chicken. Specifically, chicken breast tenderloins. We are a chicken family - it's healthy, light, can be cooked many ways, and can be made into just about anything! I choose to buy tenderloins because we are a small family - two adults and one little princess. It's much faster and easier to work with the tenderloins, as opposed to large chicken breasts - I can cook them in a third of the time after a busy day at work.
Enjoy this yummy, lighter dish! Best dishes and yummy dreams!
Mini Chicken, Black Bean, and Cheese Burritos
1 package of chicken breast tenderloins
1 can of black beans
1 cup of jasmine (or another type) of rice
1 1/2 c. chicken stock
1/4 c. homemade taco seasoning
3/4 c. water
1 tbsp. taco sauce (medium)
1 package of tortillas (we use Mission Carb Smart Flour Tortillas)
Special Salsa and Cheese Sauce:
1 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 tbsp. flour
1 c. cheddar cheese
1 c. skim milk
1 c. salsa
(salsa and cheese amounts can be altered according to preference)
1. Cut chicken breast tenderloins into bite-sized pieces, sprinkle with Adobo, and cook in a pan with olive oil. After cooked, set aside to cool.
2. Cook rice with chicken stock in a sauce pan and set aside.
3. Chop the chicken into smaller pieces and add to a pan with rice, rinsed black beans, taco seasoning, water, and taco sauce. Cook on medium and stir until combined and fully heated.
|Chicken, black beans, rice, and taco seasoning|
|Burrito filling mixed together!|
Preparing the cheese sauce:
1. In a separate sauce pan, melt butter and add flour, mix thoroughly.
2. Add cold milk and cheese, stir until it thickens.
3. Add salsa and stir.
|Cheese and salsa sauce|
Preparing the burritos:
1. Heat tortilla in the microwave for 30 seconds so they are easier to work with and will not tear.
2. Place approximately 3/4 c. of rice/chicken/bean mixture on one end of the tortilla. Top with a spoonful of cheese sauce.
3. Fold in the sides of the tortilla and then roll the tortilla up, tucking the mixture inside.
4. Place the burritos in a baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
5. Top with salsa and bake for 20 minutes on 350 degrees. *My husband likes them topped with enchilada sauce and cheese (... a burrito-chilada).
When cooled, top with guacamole, sour cream, cilantro, etc.!
4 ripe avocados, scooped out and mashed with a fork
1 cup (or more) of salsa
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder, or 2 chopped green onions
1 tsp. lemon juice
I also shared this recipe with:
I also shared this recipe with: