Thursday, September 8, 2011

Spicy and Sweet Three Bean Slow Cooker Chili


I grew up eating my mom's homemade chili - one of my favorite dishes.  I never cared about learning how to make it when I was younger, I just wanted to eat it.  Bless her heart (my mother) - every summer she would tell my sister and I that we were making one meal a week so that we could learn how to cook.  Despite her best intentions, we never did (make a meal, that is).  Fast forward a few years - I got married and developed an interest in cooking.  It took a lot of Food Network to gain all of the free knowledge I had missed out on!  My mom's chili recipe would often float into my thoughts, but when I would ask her how she made it, she would always tell me that she didn't have a recipe..."a little of this... a little of that..."  I never got a recipe out of her, and still haven't.  I just know that my mom's chili is more savory-sweet than salty, it has green peppers (which normally make me cringe, but I love in this).
So, after years of making my own chili recipe with ...gasp... a "chili seasoning packet" - I finally decided to put together my own recipe.  I spent some time looking at a good amount of recipes, taking mental notes on ingredients that we would like, and putting the combinations to the test.  We love this chili recipe - it reminds me of my mom's chili, but with a little more spiciness.  My little one loves it too!
Best dishes and yummy dreams!

xoxo,


Little Mommy's Slow Cooker Chili
Serves 6-8


1 package of 97/3 lean ground beef (1 pound - 1 1/2 pounds)
2 small sweet onions, diced
1 small green pepper, sliced 
2 garlic cloves
2 cans of kidney beans (15 oz. each)
1 can of pinto beans (15 oz.)
1 can of cannelini beans (15 oz.)
15 oz. can of tomato sauce 
15 oz. can of diced tomatoes (with juice) 
1/4 c. chili powder
1 tsp. oregano, cumin, pepper, and salt
2 tsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1/2 c. of light beer

1.  Cook, drain, and rinse beef.  Place in the slow cooker on low.
2.  In a pan over medium heat, saute onion and peppers in olive oil.  When the veggies are tender, add grated garlic and saute for a minute longer.
3.  Add sauteed veggies and remaining ingredients into the slow cooker.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours (the longer the better).
4.  Add desired toppings and enjoy!

I shared this in the Texas Star Chili Cook Off!


My little one enjoying the chili!

Thanks for reading, loves xo

8 comments:

Sandra said...

I LOVE chili, great recipe :)

Little Mommy Kim said...

Thanks Sandra!

PERMANENT POSIES said...

This weekend I said that it is almost chile making weather but then today it is 97 degrees. I may just have to make some in spite of the temps. We need some rain to cool us down. Your recipe looks awesome!

Unknown said...

Love this recipe... I'm making a chili myself today. :) Thanks for bringing to Friday Potluck!

Miz Helen said...

It is sure getting to be Chili season and your recipe looks delicious! There is nothing like a great pot of chili to warm your heart and the tummy. Hope you are having a wonderful week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Miz Helen said...

Hi Kim,
I just love your post and your Chili! It is really a great combination of flavor that we are really going to enjoy. I am so excited that you entered it in The Texas Star Chili Cook Off 2011. Thank you so much for your entry and good luck with the Cook Off!
Miz Helen

Anita Rowe Stafford said...

Your chili sounds delicious!

Miz Helen said...

I love Spicy and Sweet and your Chili looks awesome, we will really enjoy it. Your little one looks like he loves it. I Pinned your post and Thank You so much for sharing your great Chili with The Texas Star Chili Cook Off 2012.
Good Luck!
Miz Helen