Sunday, August 28, 2011

Pasta Sauce Success!

The thought of making my own pasta sauce scared me.  I know, I know ... it's such a simple thing to make.  But I have a fear, a large fear of ... tomatoes.  Crazy, I know.  It's the fresh ones that make me squirm.  I wish I liked them, I really do.  But I do adore a good sauce.  We use Emeril's marinara sauce, but have found it a bit too sweet to use for a baked italian dish like lasagna or ziti.  I finally decided that I needed to suck it up, put my big girl apron on, and try to make a simple pasta sauce that we would love.  I browsed a couple of recipes and found one that sounded pretty good.  I have to admit, I saw the word "wine" in the ingredients list and I was sold.  I'd like to share my version of the recipe with you - I made changes based on our likes and dislikes.  It was a yummy success!  
Best dishes and yummy dreams!

xo,


Slow Cooker Pasta Sauce



  • 1 sweet onion, chopped
  • 1 cup shredded carrots, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes - I use San Marzano and chop them into bite-sized pieces, discard the extra liquid
  • 1 (6 ounce) can of tomato paste
  • 1 (15 ounce) can of tomato sauce 
  • 1/2 Tbsp. dried basil
  • 1/2 Tbsp. dried oregano
  • 1 Tbsp. parsley
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 cup red wine (one that you would like to drink)
  • 1 c. beef broth
  • 1 tsp. Worcestershire
  • 1/2 tsp. salt, or more
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper 
  • 1/2 pound extra lean ground beef (optional)
  • Also optional:  mushrooms, chopped zucchini, etc.

  • 1.  In a pan, saute onion and carrots in olive oil, add garlic right before onions are ready (optional twist - saute mushrooms too!).  
  • 2.  When sauteing is complete, place vegetables into a slow cooker.  
  • 3.  In the same skillet, brown ground beef, then remove and rinse.  
  • 4. Add the beef and all of the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and stir.  
  • 5.  Cook on low for 4-6 hours...the longer the better!  
  • Turn to warm and allow sauce to slightly cool and thicken before serving.

  • Bon Appetito, loves! xo   

3 comments:

Kate said...

Sounds yummy! I've never made my own sauce but might have to try now!

Little Mommy, Big Appetite said...

Let me know how it turns out!!

Fawn said...

Have I ever told you how hungry your site makes me? Yummy!