So, I have a new found love for ground turkey. After making the yummy turkey burgers, I saw this meatball recipe in Cooking Light and knew I'd adore the dish. I love that the sauce is homemade, but it is still such a simple dish to prepare for a quick, healthy meal (no preservatives or scary ingredients!). These meatballs are perfect as a little party app, or a even as a meal at home.
Best dishes and yummy dreams!
Barbecue Turkey Meatballs
Recipe adapted from: Cooking Light April 2013
Makes 20 meatballs
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, crushed or minced
2 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
2 1/2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 lb. lean ground turkey (97/3)
3 Tbsp. Italian breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1. Heat a skillet with olive oil and saute the onion until tender. Add the garlic and stir for another minute. Remove from heat and place the mixture in a large mixing bowl.
2. In a blender, combine sugar, vinegar, cumin, paprika, cloves, salt, pepper, and tomatoes. Set the mixture aside.
3. Add the turkey, breadcrumbs, and chili powder to the mixing bowl with the onions and garlic. Mix by hand to combine the ingredients.
4. Heat a skillet and spray the surface with cooking spray. Form the meatballs and place them in the skillet, turning to brown all sides.
5. Add the tomato mixture to the skillet, cover and allow the meatballs to cook through.
Thanks for reading, loves xo
Click here to see where I shared this recipe.