Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Shredded Barbecue Chicken with Pumpkin Pepper Jack Grits


Wondering what to do with all of those cans of pumpkin you bought when you finally found them at the store?? You have to make this dish.  Really.  This recipe caught my eye about a year ago - I had never seen pumpkin with grits.  I love pumpkin and all of the health benefits and I rarely say "no" to barbecue chicken, so I was game for this recipe.  However, I'm definitely not a connoisseur of grits - I was born in Pennsylvania and my parents were born and raised there too - grits are not familiar territory.  This recipe was actually my first experience with grits and they are so yummy!  So, it's official, after 20-some years in the south, I am finally a "southerner".
I also love the fact that this recipe is a healthy alternative to a familiar dish.  Instead of the popular cheddar cheese grits with BBQ chicken (dark meat, on the bone) - it uses pumpkin to flavor the grits, a little bit of pepper jack, and lean chicken breast.  It is unbelievably flavorful - spicy, savory, and sweet.  Don't skimp on the toppings - the green onion, cheese, and tomato (says my husband since he's the tomato-eater) really take the dish to another level.
Best dishes and yummy dreams!

xo,

Shredded Barbecue Chicken with Pumpkin Pepper Jack Grits
Recipe:  Taste of Home's "Healthy Cooking" Magazine

1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, trimmed and rinsed
1 c. chicken stock 
1 c. of your favorite BBQ sauce (We use Sweet Baby Ray's Original)
1/4 c. molasses (excellent source of calcium!)
1 tbsp. ancho chili powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

4 c. chicken stock
1 c. quick-cooking grits
1 c. canned pumpkin
3/4 c. shredded pepper jack cheese

chopped green onion
seeded and chopped tomato
extra shredded pepper jack
sour cream


Preparing the chicken:

1.  Mix 1 c. chicken stock, BBQ sauce, molasses, cinnamon, and chili powder in a skillet.  Add chicken, cover, and cook over medium heat until chicken is cooked through.

2.  Take the chicken out and shred it with a fork, return it to the skillet and keep the mixture on low.

Preparing the grits:

1.  Boil 4 c. chicken stock.
2.  Add grits and pumpkin.  Stir until mixture reaches appropriate thickness (about 5 minutes).
3.  Add shredded cheese and stir.

Place grits in a bowl, top with chicken and any desired toppings!


Thanks for reading, loves! xo

5 comments:

Kate said...

That looks so yummy! You're a southerner now, so you gotta like grits! I have a FABULOUS shrimp 'n' grits recipe I'll be sharing later this year....

Wendy said...

I'll be trying this. Some of my favorite foods all in one place -- what could be better?

Kim of Mo Betta said...

I love grits and this sounds amazing! Can't wait to make it! (Shrimp & grits - best thing ever, but I love all things grits related!)

Miz Helen said...

Your Shredded Barbecue Chicken with Pumpkin Pepper Jack Grits looks like a fabulous meal. I can't wait to make this meal! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week end and come back soon!
Miz Helen

Kim of Mo Betta said...

Just made this for dinner...big hit with my super picky 11 y/o (the chicken anyway) and I love the grits with it. Thanks for posting! Nice to have something a little different!