Sunday, August 21, 2011

Little Mommy, Big Appetite


Don’t read this if you are looking for your mother’s recipes: casseroles, roasts, “meat and potatoes” and whatnot.  Browse other blogs if you’re hoping to see slightly pretentious, trend-setting food … a deconstructed egg roll with a micro-green (microscopic) salad, blah, blah blah.  I am not a tree-hugging, natural, organic food nazi.  I just love food… I love trying new foods, I love fresh foods, I love healthy foods (and some unhealthy),  most of all – I love making food.  I live for a bring-you-to-your-knees, close-to-heaven dining experience.  Making food for my family fills my soul and I’d love to share some of my favorite recipes, tips, and tricks. Here is what I am about:
1.  I love fresh fruits and vegetables.  Just not fresh tomatoes…I know, I try, but  just can’t do it.
2.  I buy some organics (mostly the “dirty dozen”..although have you noticed an organic pepper is $4.00???  I think I’ll risk the toxins.)
3.  I try to avoid canned, prepackaged foods.  The only cans you’ll find in my kitchen are beans and some tomatoes.  Yes– I can tolerate a canned tomato in a recipe…weird.
4.  I try to make meals as healthy as possible, without sacrificing flavor, or taste.  I believe in “sneaking a vegetable in” dishes for adults..not just kids.
5. I have a little one… and I made over 50% of her baby food, so I love to chat about that and her ever-changing tastes and food experiences.
6.  I also love to eat out (hey – the cook needs a break too!).  New places and new dishes intrigue and inspire my cooking at home.
Preparing meals for my family is my way of providing for them.  I love to set a meal in front of them and know (almost) exactly where it came from and how it was prepared.  I love being able to have control of ingredients and creativity.  I am a little mommy with a big appetite.  Here’s to best dishes and yummy dreams!

No comments: